Why would anyone ever want to do an overnight running relay?
Think about it you are sleep deprived, you run three times within 24 hrs, you usually have a couple of hills you really don’t want to run up.
To answer that question – I’ll give you why I’m about to run my 9th overnight relay. (Count so far: Ragnar Relay – 4, Hood to Coast – 2, Spokane to Sandpoint – 1, Oregon Epic Relay – 1). I’m about to add another Ragnar Relay to the list.
1. I love being on a team. After playing many sports for many years, I missed having other help you make your goal.
Hood to Coast – 2007
2. It is amazing how well you get to know people after spending 24-30 hours with 6 other people in a van. I have made friends for life with those people you run with. I have been on a team for 6 years now. It is amazing how when we get together each summer, we all jump back in and enjoy the weekend together.
3. I love to be able to accomplish hard things. I have run long distances, ran fast, run up hills, run across flat paths along the beach, dirt trails, along sandy washes and up hot dirt trails. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
4. When else do you get to draw all over your van and honk and cheer for all the runners on the road.
5. Love spending more time with Owen. He has driven for 8 of my 9 races.
I have been able to do 3 races with siblings.
You never who you might run into at a relay.
In the end the medal around your neck and friends you are with is what makes me coming back for more.
See you at a relay race next year!